Immigrate to Canada as a Student

Immigrate to Canada as a Student

Why do so many Students Choose Canada as a Study Destination?

There are currently over 500,000 foreign nationals studying in Canada. This figure is growing each year, and Canada falls just behind just the US and UK as the world’s third most-popular study destination.

A few main factors make Canada attractive for foreign students:

  • Canada has a world-class, internationally recognized education system with top-quality universities and colleges
  • The cost of tuition and living can be significantly lower than in the USA, UK, and Australia
  • Studying in Canada can provide a path towards Permanent Residence and Canadian Citizenship. Many prospective immigrants need to obtain Canadian work experience, or a Canadian job offer, to qualify under Express Entry or the Provincial Nominee Program. Studying in Canada is often the best way to get a foot in the door, and eventually qualify to immigrate.

The Many Advantages to Studying in Canada

Work without a Permit

Students can work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week. During academic holidays, they can work full time, without having to obtain a work permit.

Bring your Family

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or dependent children to join you in Canada during your studies. Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for an Open Work Permit, allowing them to work full-time for any employer. Children of students do not need a study permit to study at pre-school, primary school, or secondary school.

The Opportunity for Permanent Residence

Studying in Canada provides graduates with a sure path towards permanent residence. After completing a study program in Canada, graduates can obtain a Post Graduation Work Permit that is valid for up to three years. A Post Graduation Work Permit gives the holder permission to work for any employer in Canada. Canadian work experience will give many graduates enough points to immigrate through the Express Entry system. In other cases, candidates can immigrate through the Provincial Nominee Program, shortly after receiving a job offer.

Who Needs a Canadian Study Permit?

If you plan to study in Canada at the post secondary level for a period of 6 months or more, you must apply for a study permit. If you require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada, the two applications can be made together.  

Minor children can generally study without a study permit if they:

  • Are in preschool (pre-kindergarten)
  • Are in kindergarten, primary or secondary school, and their parent is authorized to work or study in Canada
  • They, or their parent in Canada, has claimed refugee or protected status

The Basic Requirements for a Study Permit

The basic requirements for a Study Permit application are:

  • A Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada
  • Proof of financial support, including tuition fees and living expenses
  • Police Certificates and a medical examination may be required

The Costs of Studying in Canada

While much more affordable than the United States and United Kingdom, studying in Canada is still a considerable expense. However, considering the immense benefits of a Canadian education, and the future opportunity of Permanent Residence for the graduate and their family, it makes a worthwhile investment.

To be able to consider studying in Canada, and immigrating through a study program, an applicant should have access to a minimum of $25,000 CDN ($18,600 USD).

A Breakdown of Minimum Costs

The cost of tuition varies among institutions and programs, but applicants can generally expect to pay at least $15,000 CDN yearly for tuition.

In order to be granted a study permit, the applicant needs to prove that they have paid (or will be able to pay) the first year's tuition fee, and also that they will be able to support themselves financially during their period of study in Canada. The government of Canada has established the minimum amount of funds necessary (in addition to the tuition fees) to have their application accepted.

The minimum funds necessary (in Canadian Dollars) are:

  • $10,000 per year of study, for a single person
  • An additional $4,000 per year of study, for an accompanying spouse
  • An additional $3,000 per year of study for each accompanying child

In other words, someone applying to study in Canada on their own needs to demonstrate funds of at least $10,000 CDN, while someone who brings their spouse and two children needs to demonstrate funds of $20,000 CDN.

Adding this to the cost of tuition, the minimum funds necessary total $25,000 CDN for a single person, or $35,000 CDN for a family of four.

The Post Graduation Work Permit

The Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows foreign students to remain in Canada after graduation to gain valuable work experience. For many graduates, this is an important step towards becoming a Permanent Resident.

A Post Graduate Work Permit allows the holder to work anywhere in Canada, without the need for the employer to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). It is issued only once, for a maximum of three years.

The requirements to apply for a PGWP are:

  • Have successfully completed a full-time study program of at least 8 months, from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  • You must apply for the PGWP within 180 days of graduation.
  • If applying in Canada, you must have valid student status at the time of the application. Usually, study permits remain valid for 90 days after the end of the study program.

Becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada

After gaining one year of skilled work experience in Canada, graduates may be eligible for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. By obtaining a Bridging Open Work Permit, candidates can continue working while their application for Permanent Residence is processed.

Several Canadian Provinces and Territories have special programs for foreign graduates under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) which offer a viable path towards obtaining Permanent Resident status.

Our Services

Student Services

  • Counselling on your choice of study program (our recommendations will factor in: your immigration goals, your career aspirations in Canada, your lifestyle preferences, your budget, and your chances for a successful application)
  • Application Support. We are able to assist with any aspect of your university/college applications

Immigration Services

We provide full representation for all stages of the study and immigration process.

  • Study Permit
  • Temporary Resident Visa
  • Visa Rejections
  • Spousal Open Work Permit
  • Post Graduation Work Permit
  • Permanent Residency
  • Canadian Citizenship


In most cases, services will begin with an in-depth consultation, where we will provide you with a personalized plan for your immigration to Canada.

Let's get started! Contact us today.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Scroll to Top